was Thomas Carroll?
by Mike Miranda
Photo by Kilmer Sweazy
The Thomas Carroll School, located at 60 Northend Street in Ward 3, was built in 1913 as an eight-room school. Architects Cooper and Bailey designed the structure.
It was first opened to students on January 12, 1914 with only four classrooms occupied. William Cass of Salem, a nephew of the late Thomas Carroll, the school's namesake, raised the flag at the ceremonies on February 20, 1914. The flag and flagpole at the school was donated a week earlier by Mrs. Thomas Carroll and Mr. Rankin.
Later that year, the grounds of the school were graded and the committee purchased land in the rear of the school. Sidewalk was installed at the school in 1917.
Two additions were made to the school, a wing being tacked onto each
side of the original structure. The first new partition came in 1920 when
a bond order amounting to $51,698 was approved by the City Council. John
Ballantine, with John Gray serving as architect ,constructed the addition.
Located in the east end of the city, the school has been home to many immigrant communities and programs, including early adult education and "Americanization" programs. In 1920, the Greek Society was granted, at a charge, the use of three rooms after school for teaching Greek. In 1937, the local office of the Works Progress Administration used the school's gymnasium during the evening. Two years later, Americanization classes for mothers were conducted and shortly thereafter, a child care class for mothers was arranged at the school. In 1973, the Portuguese Catholic Mission used the school for their religious services until completion of a new church building.
In 1940, new district boundaries were set for the Carroll School and a bulge discovered in the northeast wall of the school was quickly addressed since it was deemed "a dangerous condition". Faulty wiring caused a fire at the school in 1942 and a second fire occurred a little more than a month later.
Rehabilitation work was undertaken in 1949, including the installation of new water pipes. The following year the lighting system at the school was found to be unsatisfactory; however, it was a decade before the lighting fixtures were replaced.
In 1953, the Zolotas Brothers were responsible for carpentry repairs at the school. The following year, the boiler at the school needed repair and "for protective purposes" extra men were employed for night duty.
In 1960, funds were expended to repair the windows at the school, as well as to repair cornice work in the auditorium, to cover exposed copper tubing, and for a new entrance door.
After voting to accept the rehabilitation project as completed in 1961, the school board "discussed the condition of the doors at the Carroll School and the matter of breaks into the school."
During the 1960's, enrollment at the Carroll did not occupy the entire building and it was often used to house pupils transported from overcrowded schools, such as the Farnsworth and the Kiley. Throughout the decade, leaks and window repairs were also on-going.
In 1962, students at the School were administered the Mantoux tuberculin test. The following year, six classrooms over the auditorium for special, ungraded classes school were not adequately repaired owing to a steel strike and a lack of steel on the job. The special classes were postponed.
Principals of the Thomas Carroll School: James Murray; Herbert
Larrabee; Robert Johnson; Arthur Flanagan (Appendix
1) ; Robert Manning; Michael Ryan